Categories
alarabiya.net RSS

At least 64 Turkey-backed Syrians dead in Nagorno-Karabakh: Monitor

Spread the love

At least 64 pro-Turkey Syrian fighters have been killed in clashes between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over Nagorno-Karabakh, a Britain-based war monitor said in a new toll Saturday.

They were among the 1,200 combatants from pro-Ankara Syrian factions that Turkey has sent to fight for the Azeris since last week, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, updating its earlier figure of 850.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

At least 36 of them have been killed in clashes in the past 48 hours alone, the Observatory added, increasing a previous toll of 28 to 64.

Armenia has accused Turkey of dispatching Syrian fighters to fight on the Azeri side in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, despite Azerbaijani and Turkish denials.

French President Emmanuel Macron demanded Friday that Turkey explain what he said was the arrival of extremist fighters in Azerbaijan.

Intelligence reports had established that 300 Syrian fighters drawn from “jihadist groups” from the Syrian city of Aleppo had passed through Gaziantep in Turkey en route for Azerbaijan, he said.

Read more:

Turkey rebuffs Russia, France and US over Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire moves

Erdogan says he stands by the ‘oppressed’ in the Caucasus amid ongoing clashes

In a statement on Saturday, the Syrian foreign ministry warned of “blatant Turkish interference” in the conflict.

“It aims to inflame the situation in a manner that is consistent with the Turkish regime’s behavior in more than one country, where it has created tension and fueled the fire of sedition,” said the statement, carried by the official SANA news agency.

Clashes have raged between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces since Sunday over Nagorno-Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian province that broke away from Baku in a bitterly fought war in the 1990s.

SHOW MORE

Last Update: Saturday, 03 October 2020 KSA 21:58 – GMT 18:58